- Position is remote and contingent on funding from the Canada Summer Jobs program.
- Duration of this position is 16 weeks @ 37 hours/week.
- Home office environment with access to a laptop and internet is required.
- Bilingual an asset.
- Compensation is $17.00/hour.
- Will be required to meet with the Executive Director regularly by phone and in person.
- The Canada Summer Jobs program is open to individuals enrolled in post-secondary education.
- Candidates meeting these requirements will be screened and offered an interview.
As Canadians are increasingly being diagnosed, and affected, by Spondyloarthritis, the Canadian Spondylitis Association (CSA) plays an essential role in helping patients achieve their full health potential and live a better life.
Spondyloarthritis (SpA) describes a group of chronic inflammatory arthritis diseases with common features, including inflammation of the spine, eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract. Often beginning in adolescence, spondyloarthritis can be difficult to diagnose and often goes untreated for several years as a result. Early diagnosis and treatment intervention is key to slowing disease progression reducing irreversible damage. It is often painful and debilitating. There is no cure.
The Communication and Social Media Assistant is responsible for helping formulate and deliver the CSA’s online communication efforts. Primary responsibilities include assisting in managing and updating the CSA’s online properties, including websites, e-newsletter, social media, and data-base management. The successful candidate will support the social media manager in coordinating a number of exciting and critical digital tactics and executions, including but not limited to content planning, production and publishing across our multiple social media channels, editing and production scheduling, planning and execution of critical mass-market communications in partnership with teams across the organization, and more. The team at the CSA all contribute to administrive tasks that may not be outlined in essential duties.
- Environmental scan of resources included in other SpA Association websites internationally to support the community,
- Understand needs of community through research (survey, roundtable / interviews),
- Assess and collate feedback and identify trends, themes and gaps,
- Provide input and strategy on website improvements and development of content,
- Assist in writing, updating, editing, and posting new content to website (wordpress) in English and French,
- Create and/or edit graphics, images, banners, landing pages as needed, and
- Work with staff on a two-year strategy to launch a quarterly e-newsletter in January 2022.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Leverage new website and content to draft approved, error-free copy and high-quality content in all tactics under the social media and digital umbrella with the aim of increasing awareness, engagement and fundraising.
- Assist in planning, implementing and monitoring social media channels and strategies.
- Participate in the planning and execution of digital marketing campaigns overall.
- Help grow membership across Canada by growing all social media platforms.
- Lead social media campaign to promote newly developed support group and volunteer programs nationally.
- Translate some resources (non-technical) from English to French.
- Providing graphic design assistance as needed.
- Assist with drafting reports and social media content to support our work in our priority areas.
- Assist with ongoing digital projects on a case-by-case basis.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proven problem-solving/multitasking skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and design.
- Experience writing content in the areas of health.
- Fluent and proven expertise in a variety of social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn etc.) and new/emerging platforms and tactics.
- Experience developing, designing, and executing social media strategy.
- Bilingual capacity (English and French) and ability to translate from English to French an asset.
- Experience designing content for social media including use of design such as such as Photoshop or Canva.
Supervision and Mentoring Plans
The successful candidate will be supervised by the Executive Director with scheduled regular touchpoints to monitor progress, prioritize tasks and develop a weekly workplan and share information. The Executive Director will be available to provide support in between touchpoints. The candidate will be included in key meetings as appropriate. Access to field professionals (social media, communications, graphic design, etc.) will be facilitated to support the student and give exposure to project planning principles and interdisciplinary teamwork.
The candidate will be provided a thorough orientation and onboarding that will include our policy on health & safety in the workplace. As part of the orientation, the student will have an introductory meeting with the volunteer Board chair. The orientation and onboarding will clearly defining the scope of the projects and expectations of the work required.
Career Related Fields of Study
- SCIENCES: knowledge of anatomy, familiarity of basic medical terms and how the body works.
- BUSINESS/PROJECT MANAGEMENT: experience managing a project with multiple tasks requiring execution simultaneously.
- COMMUNICATIONS/SOCIAL MEDIA: hands-on experience using social media and professional communications in an organizational context to promote the mission of a national, non-profit charitable organization.
- NON-PROFIT ADMINISTRATION: exposure to multidisciplinary skills required to effectively manage a non-profit organization including: fundraising, project management, budgeting, and advocacy.
Cover letter and resume can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.